Friday, July 1, 2011

Hurry up...and wait.

Yesterday was quite an interesting, nerve-wracking, and slightly disappointing day for us Slaydons. To tell you the truth, I'm pretty glad it's over! I'd begun having some painful contractions Wednesday evening, and they'd gotten worse by yesterday morning. (A few other pre-labor things had happened as well, which I will not mention in polite company! :)) I went on in to work, thinking I'd call the doctor when I got the chance. Apparently I "looked bad" when I got there, because I was promptly escorted home by two sweet, if terrified, co-workers. I called Dr. G on the way home, but service isn't that great (or existent) in our neck of the woods, so I didn't hear back for several hours. Meanwhile, I got some more cleaning and straightening done, loaded the suitcases, etc. And waited.
Finally, about 2 hours later, I heard from the nurse.
(Apparently they'd been trying to call back since I'd called the first time, but both phones went straight to voicemail. Thanks, Cameron and Centennial, way to be there.) Mrs. Karen instructed me to go straight to labor and delivery. I told her that I didn't want to come in for nothing and be sent home, so if all was fine, I'd just hang out at home. "No, come on in. She's not gonna send you home." To me, that meant a kid was coming, one way or another. After a few panicked phone calls and waiting on Justin to get home from work, we were on our way.
Only to be told after 3 hours at the hospital to go home. Gee, thanks.
Long story short, the contractions weren't exactly being productive, and since I won't be 38 weeks until Sunday, there was nothing the doctor could do to "hurry things up". So, feeling like an idiot, I headed back home. Having been induced with Abigail, I didn't have a lot of pre- or early labor stuff happening, so I wasn't exactly sure what I needed to wait for. Plus, we live almost an hour and a half from the hospital; plus I've heard that the second child generally comes faster...Either way, that's why I wanted to check with the doctor first, but oh, well.
It was basically a big letdown that we weren't able to meet our girl yesterday. I was a tad terrified at first, especially after going through a neat, successful induction the first time. But then I was just excited to hold and kiss this tiny thing that's been lodged in my left lung for the past few months. I just keep telling myself that she WILL come out when it's time, and that I don't want her to come before she's ready. And so we wait...
(But I'm totally waiting until she's halfway out before I call ANYBODY next time.)
We're still scheduled to induce on the 6th, if she doesn't decide to come before then.
Keep us in your prayers, please. We just want a healthy baby out of the deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment