I realized I haven't really written much about our new little nugget on the blog, and I've just gotta correct that. To say that we are really excited would be a bit of an understatement, if you know what I mean. It's been quite a journey to get to this point.
Some of you know that the last 2 years have been somewhat of a "challenge", shall we say. Without going into details, we weren't sure if Abigail would be able to have a little brother or sister due to some things that happened after she was born. It wasn't something that Justin and I talked about much with others, because it (obviously) was a tender subject. We prayed and prayed for healing and for God's will, but I must admit I also selfishly prayed for another child. I just wasn't "done" with just one, and I wanted Abigail to have a sibling to grow up with.
In April 2010, after another minor surgery, we were informed by my doctor that everything should be okay and that another child was not out of the question!! We were excited and relieved, as you can imagine! I had almost made peace with not having another baby, but not quite. I just felt in my heart that our family wasn't yet complete.
With Abigail, I just knew I was pregnant before I ever took a test. I can't explain it, I'd never been pregnant before obviously, but I just KNEW. With lil' Nugget here, it was definitely different! We were on our hunting trip in Kentucky, and I began to feel a little weird, but nothing major that I could put my finger on. I just attributed it to being in a different place, eating different food, lack of sleep, etc. We came home and about 2 days later, Justin left to go on the annual Slaydon men's hunting trip to Homer, LA. Ab and I headed to Wal-Mart to restock on groceries, and while I was there, I decided to buy a pregnancy test. Don't ask me why. I got a 3-pack. :)
I could barely see the 2 pink lines through the tears in my eyes, and poor Abigail was so worried about why Momma was crying. I had to compose myself so I could reassure her that I was okay, but it was so hard. I took the second test the next day. Still positive!!
Let me remind you that my husband was gone. This was on a Friday, and he wasn't due back until Tuesday. Can I tell you that was the LONGEST weekend of my life!!! I didn't want to tell him on the phone, but it was so HARD!! I spent the entire weekend trying to think of a clever way to break the news, but cleverness just eluded me. I think my excitement just wouldn't allow for clear thinking!! MyMy came to spend the weekend, and though I tried not to tell her, she guessed anyway!! I could NOT have gone all weekend without telling her--it was not humanly possible. We laughed and cried together, and it was a little bit of a relief to be able to talk about it with someone. When Justin finally got home--a day early, thank the Lord!--I still didn't have a cool way to tell him. I just couldn't quit smiling, and he finally asked, "What is it?? Are you pregnant?" I think I just smiled/cried rather than answer him, and he got the biggest smile on his face!! I think he may have cried a little, too, but he'd deny it if you asked him. :)
I called my doctor on Monday (before Justin got home) and went ahead and made an appointment for that Wednesday. I wanted to be sure that everything was okay before we told anyone. Due to the prior situation, the chances of something going wrong with this pregnancy were increased. I was so excited, but still a bit nervous that things might not be okay.
The Wednesday before Thanksgiving Day, we had our first appointment. I could not keep from crying at the doctor's office. They were all with me through my first pregnancy, and the problems that followed, so they understood my nerves. I ended up seeing the Nurse Practitioner, who assured me that everything seemed fine. We scheduled our first ultrasound for the following month, when we would be able to know with more certainty that everything was as it should be. We went ahead and told the family that day, and it was an especially thankful Thanksgiving for us!!
On December 6, we had our first ultrasound.
Some of you know that December 6 is a difficult day for me. This past December 6 made 10 years since Momma left us. What a bittersweet day--the anniversary of the day I said goodbye to my precious Momma, and now the day I would get to see our little nugget for the first time. Thankfully, I had the Kleenex handy, and when I heard that heartbeat, it was all over!!
I don't think there was a dry eye in the room! There is no sweeter sound than that precious "thump, thump, thump". I cannot tell you the joy I felt.
Since then, we've gotten to see Baby Slaydon at every visit!! What a blessing!!
I think Dr. Guidry was a little nervous too, after everything had happened, because she was the one wanting to look each time. I can't say I minded at all, it does my heart good to see that little nugget!!
I've felt really good overall. A little morning/noon/night sickness for the first trimester, but certainly nothing to complain about. I've definitely felt different this time than I did with Miss Priss, but I'm trying not to put too much stock in that. We go for our next appointment on the 22nd, and at that time, we can possibly find out the gender. We're still not sure if we want to know or not...guess we'll wait and see. A healthy, happy baby is all I'm asking for!
Abigail is excited to be a big sister, even though she doesn't fully understand.
Every night she crawls up into my lap, raises my shirt, and kisses the baby. Sometimes she talks to it, too, and tells the baby she loves him/her. She is gonna be the best big sister!!
I will do a better job of keeping everyone posted on Baby Slaydon!!
(That way the posts won't have to be this long!)
We would covet your prayers for a continued healthy pregnancy, safe delivery, and healthy Baby Slaydon! We are so blessed with such a wonderful bunch of family and friends, and we can't wait for you all to meet our little nugget!!
Amy - I am SO happy for y'all. You are in our prayers always. A very very happy congratulations - can't wait for your next visit. Love you...
ReplyDeleteOh - now I need tissues just reading your post!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Jen! Sorry about the tissue issue--I needed some after I got done writing!! :) Love and hugs!
ReplyDelete