Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Strong Women

So I know that the purpose of this little blog is to share pictures and stories of our beautiful girls as they grow, so that our family and friends who don't get to see them very often can keep up with what is going on in our little world! And 99% of the time, that's what I try to post. But every once in awhile, I feel like I need to post something that's more FOR them than ABOUT them. There are things that I want to tell them that they may not understand yet, but I want to put these thoughts and feelings down before time passes and I get too busy and forget.
So if you'll humor me, that's what I'd like to do today.

Girls, I want to tell you something. You are part of a legacy! You come from a long line of STRONG women, most of whom you'll never meet this side of Heaven, and I want to tell you a little about them, so you'll recognize them when you do see them.

Lula Cooper Hennigan--"Ma"
Girls, let me tell you, there is no one on this Earth like Ma. She is the person the expression "one of a kind" was invented for. Ma is one of your great-great-grandmothers. She is one of the toughest women I've ever known! She lived next door to us when MyMy and I were kids, and we saw her every day. Ma was old when I was born, but she didn't act old! She played baseball with me in the front yard in her housecoat. She never wore pants. (She didn't wear underwear much, unless she was going to town. But that's kind of irrelevant.) She taught me how to climb a tree. She lived through the Great Depression, the loss of her husband and a child, a tornado, and saw things she never thought would come to pass. She ate pork with every meal (Yes, that's where we get it from.) and never had high cholesterol. She always "just started to say..."

Bessie Rhodes Read--"Grandma Read"
Unfortunately, I didn't know your great-great Grandma Read as well as Ma, because she didn't live right next door. But I'll tell you what I do know about her. She was a quiet, gentle lady. She was a faithful member of Macedonia Primitive Baptist Church, where both her husband and one of her sons preached. (Your Uncle Gerald still preaches there.) She also lived through the Great Depression, the loss of her husband and a child, as well as many other trials and hardships. She raised 7 children, one of whom is your great-Grandma Ida Mae--we'll get to her in a minute. These are some of the best people I know. Every summer, we have the Read Reunion in honor and memory of Leon and Bessie Read. I know it makes her happy to know her children, grandchildren, greats, great-greats, etc. still get together to visit and eat, share old memories and make new ones.

Ida Mae Read Hennigan--"Grandma"
If you were to look up "Grandma" in the dictionary, I bet there'd be a picture of your great-Grandma Ida Mae. To me, she was everything a Grandma was supposed to be. She was soft and round and comfortable. She was one of the best cooks I've ever known. She somehow managed to get every bit of batter off the bowl and the spoon, so there was never anything to lick. She taught me how to crochet and quilt and pick peas. She was a hard worker. She kept everything I ever made or gave her. I would stay with her a week or two during the summer, and those are some of my favorite times growing up. She brought me to Singing School and "Sosashun". She even smelled like a Grandma should.

Betty Jo Cockerham Brown--"Granny Brown"
I'm so glad that you know your Granny Brown! She loves you both so much! She and Aunt Mildred don't miss a thing that involves either of you. Granny can tell you exactly how many miles it is from her house in Dequincy to our house, and she will tell you--every time she comes. But, even at 82 years old, she still makes the trip. Even though Granny is a tiny little lady, she is way stronger than she looks. She took care of your PawPaw Brown after he got sick, and showed me what true love and devotion was. Even after he had to go to the nursing home, she was with him all day every day, tending to him and letting him know she loved him. She helped take care of your Memaw, too, when she was sick. Granny always used to have Thanksgiving at her house, and she makes the BEST cornbread dressing. She also makes giblet-less giblet gravy for me every year, because one time I told her that I didn't like the giblets. Granny has lived through the loss of her husband and one of her daughters. She has battled cancer and WON. I have known her for 32 years, and I've never seen a gray hair on her head. She is in better shape than most people half her age, and always gets compliments on how young she looks.

Elizabeth "Sissy" Brown Hennigan--"Memaw"
Girls, I don't know where to begin to tell you about your Memaw. I could go on for days, but since I've already rambled for awhile, I'll try to keep it short. Your Memaw was my Momma, and the best Momma I could ever have. She was kind and generous, patient and loving. She never met a stranger, and everyone that knew her loved her. She was the kind of person who made you feel better just by being around her. She always taught me to work hard and not rely on anyone else to do things for me. She wanted me to go to college, so that I could support myself and my family if need be. She supported me in everything I did, came to all of my games, and made me feel that I could do anything I set my mind to do. When I would come home from college, she always had my favorite meal cooked: fried chicken (hers is the best I've ever had, no contest), mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn. She would pick weeds out of people's yards or ditches and make beautiful arrangements for church. She brought your MyMy and I to 2 churches every Sunday, and called herself a "Hardshell Methodist". She was a faithful wife, loyal friend, and beautiful woman--inside and out. When I was just about to graduate from high school, we found out she had breast cancer. She never complained, never asked why, not even when the cancer came back after the first round of treatments. She worked when she probably shouldn't have, took care of her family, and managed her household, all with amazing grace and dignity. She rode out a tornado that destroyed our house and still managed to find her wig in time to talk to the TV reporters without embarrassing the family too much. She taught me what it means to be a good--Godly--wife and mother, and I only hope I can do half as good a job with you as she did with MyMy and I. Your MyMy is so much like her, and I can see her in each of you, too. My life is so much better because she was my Momma. I wish you could have known her here on Earth, because she would have been the best Memaw and loved you girls so much!

I'm going to stop for now, but this is by far not a complete list. You come from some pretty awesome stock on your Daddy's side, too! You are blessed to still have all of your great-grandmothers on your Daddy's side, as well as a host of other strong women. I'm going to get your Daddy to tell me some of his favorite memories of all of them and write them down for you, too. I want you to know who you come from, who is a part of you. These women, even the ones you've never met, helped to shape who you are and who you will become. You can hold your heads high and be proud, because these are some of the very best women I know. They have overcome trials and tragedies, all with grace and faith that is nothing short of inspiring. I am proud to call them my family, and I hope to raise you girls with the same grace and faith that was shown to me. I love you both forever.

2 comments:

  1. All of Heaven is crying happy tears,, now i know why..Beautifully written.
    hugs to my sweet family.
    teri♥

    ReplyDelete