Saturday, December 31, 2011

Happy New Year!

Well, better late than never, right?! So far, 2012 has been, well...yucky. We haven't exactly rung in the new year with celebrations and fireworks around here. More like Tylenol and Kleenex! We've had a pretty sick big girl and Daddy, and a kinda sick little girl the past several days, so there hasn't been a lot of partying (or sleeping--what's new?) at this house! I'm hoping that chicken pot pie and soup can substitute for cabbage and black eyed peas, because that's as good as it got around here! (We had plans for lunch on New Year's, to include family, football, and the traditional meal, but our girl wasn't up to it.)

I guess, like everybody, I've been reflecting on the past year and pondering what the new one will hold. I must say, 2011 was a pretty wonderful year for the Slaydons!! God has blessed us at every turn, even when we may not have seen it. We've been fortunate to be able to have everything we need and most of the things that we want. Of course, the biggest blessing of 2011 has been our sweet Julianne Kaye! I can't begin to tell you what a blessing she has been in our lives! She makes me smile every day with her sweet personality and her little dimples. She's growing and changing every day, and it's so amazing to watch! She looks so much like her Daddy, but lately her looks are starting to change a little, and she and Abigail are starting to favor more. She is a lovey girl who thinks her big sister is the best thing EVER. Those two love each other so much, and it is such a joy for me to watch them as they begin to interact more and more! :) They love to be around one another and give hugs and kisses. (I know this won't always be the case, so I'm enjoying it while it lasts!) Abigail thinks it's her job to entertain Julianne, and Julianne thinks Abigail is the funniest thing!! I love to hear them laughing together!! Makes this old tired Momma feel like a million bucks!! And Abigail has grown so much this past year! We had our lovely "Terrible Twos" phase, but lately it seems that she's settled down a bit and has been really acting like a big girl! Potty training was, well, a challenge, but my girl's had it down pat for awhile now! I know I say this all the time, but she is SO SMART!! I realize I'm a tad biased, but y'all--she really is!! She talks like a grownup (sometimes too much!), and she comes up with things that are just unbelievable! It's amazing how much and how fast she learns. For example, she was building something the other day, and she told her MyMy that it needed to be symmetrical. And it was. She's also using the word "ridiculous" a lot lately, which is hilarious!! It's so funny the things that she finds "ridiculous"!!

Like I said, 2011 was a blessed year! It also brought with it some sadness, but even that was tempered with joy. I (and so many others) lost a dear friend/wife/Momma/sister in the sweet and beautiful Jenifer Taylor. She was an amazing woman, and I've been blessed to call her my friend. Even in the midst of the heartache of her passing, it was a beautiful sight to watch our community come together and support her and her precious family, surrounding them with love. What a testimony to a person's life when a church is overflowing at their memorial service. I miss my friend and think of her every day, but I know she is lighting up Heaven with her beautiful smile and contagious laughter!

I'm looking forward to 2012 and all that it will hold for my little family! I'm looking forward to gaining a brother-in-law and a new niece or nephew! I'm looking forward to watching my girls continue to grow and learn! I'm looking forward to loving my husband and spending more time with him! I'm praying for grace to be a better wife, mother, daughter, sister, and friend. I'm praying for wounds to be healed and relationships to be restored. I'm praying for direction, for doors to be opened or closed as God sees fit. and I'm praying for blessings for all of my friends and family! May you all have a wonderful 2012!!

No comments:

Post a Comment