Today we were FINALLY able to get our fall garden planted! Between the rain and the rain and the more rain, we were later than we wanted to be getting it in, but we had a perfect little window this morning and we took advantage of it! Our squash, zucchini, and cucumbers decided to hang on after they were tilled under, and we already have a bunch of blooms on those plants. Today we added broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, greens, butternut squash, and pattypan squash. (If you have a recipe for that, please let me know--we have no idea what to do with it. So it's a surefire bet that we'll have a ton.) Digging around in the garden is good for thinking, so I thought I'd share a few of my random thoughts while weeding and planting. Prepare to be (almost) amazed. Some of these are really deep. ;)
- Ants are freakishly strong. They can hold on after being shaken, flung, wiped, and rinsed.
- No matter how pretty your plants are, sometimes you just hafta thin some out so that the others can grow. Pruning hurts, but it's necessary.
- Apparently broccoli leaves make Copper puke.
- I hope that's just sweat and not something crawling down my leg.
- Thank you, Pandora, for playing lots of George today.
- I'm gonna need the hose before I go in the house.
- Cucumbers are like children. You have to point them the way that you want them to grow, give them something to climb on, and keep easing them along until they can do it on their own.
- I really need to get some gloves.
- Sometimes you just gotta pull in every direction before those weeds will give it up.
- I'm glad there's not a lot of traffic this morning since my behind has been up in the air for all to see.
- Don't hold onto the weeds too long, that's when the ants bite.
- I will never get all this dirt out of my fingernails.
- I can't wait to take a shower with the hose before I go inside and take a for real shower.
- What can I do with those random squash that we got?
- Weeds sometimes look a lot like the real thing. Be careful what you pull, and be careful what you don't.
- How come we can grow grass in the garden but not in the front yard? Wonder if we can transplant it?
- Music while you work makes it feel (slightly) less like work.
- I hope those aren't Justin's good jeans.
Like I said, random. Lots of time to think about all sorts of things. Funny how your mind wanders when it doesn't have to focus too hard on something. It sure was nice being outside working with my Honey. We make a pretty good team, I must say! I can't wait to see how things turn out.
This last pic is my hand after being rinsed at least twice with the hose.
Just so you didn't think that I was just the photographer on this little project.
(And I did get all the dirt out, yay!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment